Saturday, December 19, 2009

Fabulous Fall '09 Pt. 1 - Jennifer

Well, I guess my days of gleefully singing about having “never been to Boston in the Faaaalll”


have come to an end!

Right now I’m headed home, mingling with a splatter of stars in a cold black dome of night and through my little window I can see an ever changing painting. Strange glimers of light are seeping through rippling waves of cloud below us like creatures in an airy sea and...and I’m done with finals!

I feel a little worse for the ware this semester actually, but every battle of the semester left me with a precious prize that I wouldn’t trade for anything; Anything at all, because I think I finally know that they were the experiences meant for me at this time, and this very place!

My report card may be a little less flashy this year but it’s deceptive, because I learned more than any other semester so far.

To start a summary, I suppose the beginning offers a pretty convenient start, so at the beginning it shall be!

My semester began after an amazing journey to visit my mom in the San Juan Islands where she lives in the middle of the Antlantic Ocean in a Sail Boat!

I stayed with her and Scott there for 10 wonderful days and had all sorts of interesting adventuresand new experiences.


As the semester began I realized that despite the numerous precious experiences that took place, I had been a bit depressed over the summer. I think part of it was having a single room, but 99.9% was having little to think of other than myself. I knew that this was the cause of it, and so I began praying for ways to change that, and boy did something change! Let me introduce you to some of the beautiful channels this change came poring through!
Jennifer ‘Nillo, Juri Ify, and Sofi D’.

Oh dear. What have I gotten myself into? How do I even begin to describe three earthen Angels? Let me see. It’s going to take a loooong time so I think I’ll write it in 3 instalments.

Jennifer…she keeps in touch with my street side.

And she keeps me in line.

My first encounters with her culminated in her declaration from banister: “Dude Girl! You’re ill!! You were Beasting!” “Oh, uh…I’m not sick. I’m a Bee-Sting?”

With a little time however, I learned her dialect and from that moment came many glorious hours practicing solfege (Do, Re, Mi…) and guitar in the park on warm summer evenings, and of the passionate unthreading of our perceptions of right and wrong and of Catholic Abbys. Jennifer has also shown me a kind of love that is a bit foreign to me, the love of honesty. I can not even describe how I treasure her sincerity with me in letting me know where I can grow as an individual. She also has the capacity to serve selflessly without noticing it. In her I saw divinity as she began working on a project I’ll tell you about in a moment. She keeps me laughing and I often find myself flooded with joy just by seeing her at a distance.

Jennifer hopes to one day become a wealthy philanthropist and working at Disney as a character voice, and doing screen writing for television. Jennifer is from the Dominican Republic and had it on her heart to take a group of Berklee students to a third world country to minister there through music. So, finally, in September the little 19 year old fireball began writing a proposal and assembling a team. We spent many nights on Skype working through the 12 page document word by word and slowly, progressed to creating a video, ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEkVyn4HcQU ) a constitution, meeting with the President of the college, grants, a TV interview…Sheesh. We’ve come a long way! Now there’s a team of 12 of us with Jennifer working to make this happen!

There’s been ups and downs and a lot of stress, and chaos but far more joy and excitment and lots of new experiences and lessons. For example, I learned that when one is in the process of writing a letter to the secretary of the Senator, and is going to save it in one's draf folder, they should be very carful lest they find a crazy, half-baked, mis-spelled draft of notes for a letter to the secretary in their out box with her address in the "To" window, rather finding it in the drafts folder. (ouch)


The thrill of the journey's sparked a little fire in me of joy and excitement that I found addicting. That’s why I couldn’t say no to the opportunity to work with Juri Ify.

No comments:

Post a Comment