Friday, January 16, 2009

Word of the Day

Today I learned a new word! I'll just give you the Berklee description and you can try to guess it.  Ready?  Jeopardy theme song please...
 An event begun by an Afro-Brazilian Drumming Ensemble followed by speakers like an A and R business man who worked with the Backstreet Boys and Brittany Spears, a 20 year old winner of some sort of Jazz Grammy who has opened for G love, as well as  some other Berklee Alumni/students/staff, and completed by an hour and a half concert by award winning students (including the girl who won the Grammy thing) featuring Jazz, Blues, Rock, R and B and a whole lot of sole... in all the styles?
Any guesses?  The answer is: Convocation.  Apparently every school has one but I'd never heard of it before.  I'd be up for that every night!
If you want to hear that girl who opened for us, she's on youtube with G love under "Emily Elbert and G love jam backstage" and her website is emilyelbert.com.  Believe it or not she actually looks much younger in person!
Dad left today.  I'm not glad that he left but it sure is exciting.  The whole city seems different now that I'm here for real and school's around the corner!  I sure wonder when the fantasy feeling is going to ware off, but until then, it sure is nice!  It warmed up a little this afternoon and I was able to imagine what tolerable weather must be like.  Mmmm...so sweet! 
I played some jazz today,  and it wasn't as hard as it seemed.  I think the trick is to put your fingers where they want to fall.  Then you get dissonance and work with it a little.  I like it.  
By the way, Berklee has an online radio station called the "birn" that I thought about playing on my blog, but there's so much variety I don't want to be responsible for what's playing at any given moment.  If you want to hear it you can go to www.thebirn.com.  From there you can select which of the five stations you want to hear.   
Thanks again for reading!  Have a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment